World Changers coming to Owensboro | Home & Garden
The World Changers volunteer organization will be in Owensboro, June 17-21. This organization’s visit marks the sixth consecutive year that volunteers from ten different states have helped low income people in our community. World Changers will furnish volunteer workers and construction supervisors for each house to complete minor repairs.
Over the last six years a total of 96 homes have been assisted thru this partnership at a total investment of over $530,000 in materials and volunteer labor.
Sixteen homes have been selected to be assisted this year and all repairs and building materials will be furnished at no cost to the homeowner. The City of Owensboro will furnish the building materials necessary for each project site.
Homeowners can expect a crew of 10-15 people at their home for a period of two to three days, depending on the size of the project. The project guidelines are as follows:
- All of the homes are all located within the city limits of Owensboro, Kentucky.
- The project applies to homeowners only (deed of record). No rental property was considered.
- Only single story homes where considered.
- Roof shingle replacement, minor exterior painting, wheelchair ramps and yard cleanup are some of the things that will be done this year.
- The household must meet the HUD income guidelines (Example: single family maximum income limit is $30,550 per year / a four-person family maximum income limit is $43,600 per year).
- The average age of the sixteen homeowners assisted this year is 69.
- The average annual income of the sixteen homeowners assisted this year is $15,600.
- 50% of the homeowners assisted this year are disabled.