Owensboro investigators: Candle, not lightning caused fire | News
The Owensboro Fire Department has released the investigation of the house fire that occurred Friday, June 21 at 816 Triplett Street. The investigation, which was completed by the Owensboro Fire Department and insurance investigators, indicates the fire was caused by a candle, not lightning.
They say the the lightning analysis returned a negative result. Although there were 301 strikes in Owensboro in the two-hour period prior to this fire, none of those strikes were near or within several blocks of this address.
The investigation shows that the only heat source in the area of the fire’s origin was a candle, and the interviews conducted and evidence collected is consistent with this cause. It appears the candle’s container failed, causing the flame from the candle to ignite normal combustibles.
Fire officials say the age and construction of the home lead to the quick fire spread.